Wondering how to hire a certified nutrition coach? What does a nutrition coach even do? Find out inside this article!
Hi there! My name is Chantal, and I’m the owner of this site. Welcome!
I’m also a mom, homemaker, and certified personal trainer. However, my newest title is Certified Nutrition Coach. (Yey!)
I’m very excited to share this will you and explain what that really means, as I know that nutrition coaching is a relatively new concept. By the end of this post, you’ll know exactly what a nutrition coach can do, as well as how to hire a certified nutrition coach for yourself!
What does a nutrition coach do?
That’s a really good question, and it’s super important to understand. To be clear, a nutrition coach is not to be confused with a Registered Dietitian or Nutritionist.
Those credentials require different educational standards and give the ability to prescribe specific dietary changes or plans.
A nutrition coach cannot prescribe a specific diet plan in the same way.
A nutrition coach can:
- Help a client set calorie and macronutrient goals
- Provide general nutrition education
- Help a client set behavior-change goals
- Be a client’s cheerleader, motivator, and mindset support
- Provide an exercise plan if he/she is also a certified personal trainer
- Provide resources for learning about healthy eating, learning new nutrition habits, etc. (Like learning portion control)
- Dispel myths about various popular diets and their effectiveness
A nutrition coach cannot:
- Write you out a specific diet plan with specific foods and quantities
- Tell you to omit / include any specific thing in your diet
- Treat special dietary needs
- Prescribe any medication to aid weight loss etc.
- Recommend /prescribe supplements
The word “coach” truly exemplifies the role of the certified nutrition coach. While they can give you general nutritional guidance (and this is very needed in the general population), their primary goal is to help you stay accountable and motivated to create new healthy habits.
A nutrition coach might be right for you if…
- You’re “in a rut” with nutrition and aren’t sure where to start
- Motivation is not your strong point and you need help getting back at it
- You struggle with consistency
- Emotional eating is causing you trouble
- You need help developing mindset tools that will help you rely less on motivation to eat well and more on habit & will-power
- No one really ever taught you about general nutrition, macros, how to eat to lose weight, etc.
- You need accountability and you don’t have anyone in your life who will help you
- You simply desire to learn more about nutrition!
How can I hire a certified nutrition coach?
It’s easy, but there is a process. You see, not all nutrition coaches will be a good fit for you.
It’s best to hire a nutrition coach who understands your situation, is relatable, and who has maybe even been in your shoes.
You’ll want to work with someone who you can get along with and respect – but your coach will have expectations too!
Hiring a nutrition coach is a commitment. It requires a lot of work from YOU. (Since you are, after all, the one who is trying to change your life!) Not to mention, coaching programs are usually a minimum of 12 weeks long.
In my coaching program, I expect my clients to do a LOT every week.
Three months is not a long time in the grand scheme of your life. My hope is to give you the tools to be successful throughout life and teach you a TON about nutrition and yourself.
In my 12-week nutrition coaching program, clients get:
- Weekly nutrition education reading & homework
- Weekly mindset & motivational work
- Various activities that I call “heart work” = working on your internal / emotional issues with food
- Weekly video or phone check-ins for sharing struggles, wins, etc.
- Access to a private Facebook group to connect with others, stay accountable, and ask questions
- Printable resources – including meal planning sheets, goal setting pages, etc.
- A specific goal for calories and macros
- Help setting small goals related to the overall personal goal
- Access to me via email, Instagram, and FB
- BONUS – I also throw in my PDF workout program for core rehab
So, still wondering how exactly it works?
The first step is to book a free consultation call with me to see if we’re a good fit. (I work exclusively with women, and my specialty is moms!)
On the call, we’ll discuss your personal nutrition goals, struggles that you’re currently experiencing, and how it all works. It’s a great chance to ask me more questions.
If I think that you’re a good candidate for my program, I’ll be able to give you the different package options and your coaching can begin!
So now that you know what a nutrition coach does and how to hire a certified nutrition coach, it’s time to take your nutrition journey into your own hands.
*Not ready to get started with coaching just yet? Read more about me here.