Easy Ground Turkey Enchiladas
Easy ground turkey enchiladas for a busy weeknight? Yes please! Try this healthy ground turkey enchilada recipe next time you’re in need of a quick and easy meal full of protein.
Hey there! My name is Chantal. Welcome to my site!
Looking for a great easy ground turkey enchiladas for a busy weeknight?
You’re in the right place!
But first, you should know that I’m a mom of two, certified personal trainer and also a certified nutrition coach.
(Hopefully that explains a little bit about how these ground turkey enchiladas made it onto my blog.)
Psst! Did you know that I have a shop full of fitness printables and home workout programs? Click here to check it out!
In This Post: Everything You Need to Make These Easy Ground Turkey Enchiladas
I love to write but that also means I tend to over-share. That being said, here’s a quick overview of what you’ll find in this post:
- Why you should add these easy turkey enchiladas to your meal rotation
- Ground turkey enchiladas frequently asked questions
- What you need / ingredients
- Recipe tips for the best results
- Ground turkey enchilada recipe card
Related Reading: Easy Ground Turkey Meal Prep + Brown Rice
Put this ground turkey enchilada recipe in rotation
You might not believe me until you actually make it, but my family *loves* this simple recipe.
For whatever reason, the ground turkey just hits better than ground beef. Seriously!
You’ll want to put this ground turkey enchilada recipe in your weekly or bi-weekly rotation.
Because it’s super easy, packed with protein, and it’s pretty dang cheap to make.
All you need is some cheap ground turkey (usually $4-7/lb depending on fat content), some larger tortillas, cheese, and a can of enchilada sauce.
You can make it keto / macro friendly by using low-carb tortillas. In addition, it’s easy to tweak the fat content with leaner turkey and reduced-fat cheese.
And of course, spiciness is up to you – you can find mild, medium, or spicy enchilada sauce at the store.
Related Reading: 27 Delicious High Protein Meal Prep Ideas
Ground Turkey Enchiladas FAQ
It’s super easy as long as you buy store-bought enchilada sauce!
No, but you can easily find gluten-free tortillas these days. Swap them out!
No, but it is high-protein. If you want to make these low carb, you can use carb-conscious tortillas.
I love how quickly and easily they come together. It’s a fast and yummy way to use up ground turkey.
After they cool, you can cover these babies with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to serve the next day. However, because they can get soggy, I suggest eating or freezing within 24 hours.
Now that I’ve (hopefully) answered some of the most popular questions for this recipe, let’s go over the short list of ingredients you’ll need to make it.
Related Reading: Yummy Red Chicken Pozole Recipe
What You Need For These Easy Ground Turkey Enchiladas
Now, keep in mind that I said these were easy! The enchilada sauce isn’t made from scratch, which makes this recipe super quick!
If you realllly want to make your own enchilada sauce from scratch, check out this awesome recipe!
Otherwise, here’s what you need:
- Lean ground turkey (7-15% fat is great)
- Large to extra large tortillas. (I use the Mission Burrito flour tortillas most of the time and don’t recommend corn tortillas because of how small they generally are.)
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Garlic salt & taco seasoning if desired
- A can of your favorite red enchilada sauce (or use green enchilada sauces if that’s your preference)!
That’s it! (Other than a baking dish and maybe some non-stick spray!)
Seriously, it’s so easy. In case you haven’t already figured it out, here are the kitchen tools / dishes I use for this recipe:
- A large skillet to brown the turkey and make sure it’s nicely cut up
- A spoon or meat crusher to break up chunks (the enchiladas roll up more easily with smaller meat pieces)
- Non-stick spray or olive oil for you baking pan
- Cheese grater
- A tortilla warmer to help with rolling
- A glass Pyrex baking pan
That is all!
This recipe is super easy as it stands, but for the best ground turkey enchiladas, feel free to customize it!
Use your favorite toppings or other ingredients to switch it up. Here are just a few ingredients you could add to customize your enchiladas:
- Diced green chiles
- Chili powder
- Bell peppers
- Poblano peppers
- Sour cream
- Diced yellow onion
- Refried beans
- Lime juice
- Green onions
- Monterey jack or Colby jack cheese in place of cheddar
The possibilities are endless!
Recipe tips for the best results
If you think you have it all figured out and you’re a master enchilada maker, go forth and enjoy!
If not, no worries – I have a few tips for you.
First up, do not skimp on time when browning your turkey. It is not like ground beef in that it can be consumed partially raw. Cook all of your turkey mixture until there is no more pink!
Next, it can be really helpful to drain your turkey once it’s cooked. (To avoid oily enchiladas.) However, if you’re using really super lean turkey, you will not have much to drain.
Related Reading: 10 Most Helpful Kitchen Tools For Weight Loss
Also – the taco seasoning and garlic salt suggestion is optional. (You can also use garlic powder.)
Use your best judgement but know that I highly suggest at least a little salt for the yummiest enchiladas.
You may even want to add some minced garlic or onion for extra deliciousness.
The next tip I have for you is to find a way to keep your tortillas warm in between rolling. I have a tortilla warmer like this one that is a game changer for all tortilla related activities. 😉
If you don’t have one, no worries! You can also use damp paper towels or tea towels to warm your tortillas.
Last but not least, these enchiladas are great on day one but they are TO DIE FOR as leftovers on day two.
Seriously, warm them up at medium heat the second day for 15-20 minutes, and they are so good.
There is just something about the way the remaining enchilada sauce soaks into the tortilla and makes it just *slightly* soggy that is for some reason just delicious.
But don’t take my word for it – you’ll just have to try it yourself.
Let’s get to the recipe already.
Easy Ground Turkey Enchiladas
- 1 large skillet
- 1 large baking dish
- 1-2 lbs ground turkey
- 6-8 large flour tortillas
- 1 can mild or medium red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Brown the ground turkey in a large skillet with taco seasoning and garlic salt.
- Drain any extra oil or water.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees while warming up the tortillas.
- Spray your baking pan with non-stick such as Pam.
- Place a large scoop (~1/2 cup) of ground turkey in the center of a warm tortilla. Roll and place in baking pan.
- Repeat until all of the ground turkey is gone, placing each enchilada in the pan.
- Generously pour enchilada sauce over the filled tortillas.
- Sprinkle cheese over the tops of the enchiladas.
- Warm in the over 20 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
There you have it friends!
I hope you enjoy this ground turkey enchilada recipe as much as I do!
The simple ingredients make it so easy, I promise these enchiladas with ground turkey will a family favorite.
It may even be one of your favorite recipes!
Before you go, here are a few other posts you might like:
- Yummy Red Chicken Pozole Recipe
- Beginner Whole Wheat Sourdough Bread Recipe
- Easy Ground Turkey Meal Prep + Brown Rice
Until next time!