I didn’t start this blog with the intention of writing about blogging for fitness professionals.
In fact, I never thought I’d be writing about how to start a blog, being a fitness blogger, or blogging for beginners.
But in talking with others and observing their schedules and hopes for their careers, I realized that a lot of fitness professionals are missing out big time.
They’re missing out on the extra income and flexibility that fitness blogs can provide.
I decided to write about blogging for fitness professionals because blogging can supplement training income substantially. Before I started studying to become a personal trainer, I studied blogging for about three years. I read just about every article that covers blogging for beginners. I taught myself how to make an additional $900/month online – and I know that it’s possible to make significantly more. Plus, the beauty of it is that your blog makes money all the time – not just while you’re physically with a client.
What would you do with an extra $900/month? Get started with your own fitness blog today.
HOLD UP…FITNESS BLOGS? I DON’T EVEN KNOW WHAT A BLOG IS…
If you don’t know what a blog is, you’ve come to the right place. This is a blog. Many of the websites you visit are blogs. “Blog” is short for “weblog,” which today, can be a lot of things. To me, this is like an online journal even though it’s also a business. If a website has a lot of posts and is constantly changing, it’s probably a blog – but there’s not a real set of rules here. If you’re blogging for fitness, however, you’ll probably write your own blog posts (they’re like articles) like I do.
But how does blogging for fitness professionals work?
You may have noticed that this fitness blog is fairly new. I am working on a ton of content for you all. But I’ll give you a quick run-down of my overall plan.
Firstly, I plan on using this blog for my own accountability. I work out with my own personal trainer but I still want my readers to see my progress. I want them to know that I’m not perfect – food is the hard part for me – just like most of my readers.
This fitness blog is also meant to supplement my income as I look for work as a personal trainer in the next few months. I am pretty sure I have a job lined up but as I build clientele working around my daughter’s preschool schedule, I’m going to need a little extra cash to help me get to the point where my schedule is full.
Here’s how I’m personally making money on my health and fitness blog:
- Selective ad placement. I earn revenue simply from placing a few ads here and there. Some fitness blogs opt out of ads, but I think they are fine on most blogs.
- Sponsored work. Fitness brands and food companies like to pay influencers to help promote their products. I’ll be writing some blog posts and posting on social media on behalf of brands I like. This is a great beginner blogging income stream.
- Affiliate sales. I like to promote products I actually use and love to my readers, like my favorite supplements. When I do that, I get a cut of the sales. Many fitness blogs are huge on this.
- Training programs, ebooks, courses. In the future I’d like to sell more of my own products, but right now I just have one – Restore The Core. It’s a home workout program for core strength. I’ve seen a lot of trainers sell home weight loss training programs, ebooks, recipe books, etc. I want to sell a course on blogging for fitness professionals and potentially start an online training group.
Read about how to reach your fitness goals AND make money with a fitness blog here.
Here’s how a few big fitness influencers make money blogging:
- Jessie Hilgenberg’s “Jessie’s Girls” – Online fitness programs with a private accountability community. These training programs come in ebook form for $80 a piece.
- Blogilates – Cassey Ho sells DVD’s of her POP Pilates class, gear (like yoga mats), a nutrition plan, etc.
- Tone It Up – These ladies sell nutrition plans, fun gear, etc.
As you can see, there’s a world of possibilities here. If you’re a fitness professional, you can make the most out of your niche by adding blogging to your business. Use blogging for marketing, and you’ll be on your way to a huge potential boost in income.
I absolutely love blogging – but I started this particular blog because I was blogging about other things and they were taking away from my health and fitness goals. I decided to become a fitness blogger after coming to that realization. However, anyone can blog, no matter the niche or reason.
If you’re a fitness professional of any kind, you’ll want to stay tuned as a write more and more about blogging for fitness professionals.
I’ll be focused on helping you with the following:
- How to start your own blog – from the very beginning. I already have a post written about this, but I’ll be adding a lot more detail as time goes on. (Feel free to ask me questions!)
- How to use social media to support your blog and income – this is so important and you’re already using it – so you might as well use it to make money.
- How to write blog posts that are helpful to your readers, yet will potentially turn a profit.
- Blog setup beyond the initial phase
- Focusing on your niche and marketing to your specific market
- Using Pinterest to send people to your posts (and turning that into a profit)
- So much more!
If you could be making an extra $900 plus per month, what would that mean for you and your family? Or perhaps the better question is, if you could increase your income that much without adding extra clients, why wouldn’t you do it?
If you have no clue where to start, don’t worry. As I mentioned above, I have an entire series of blog posts about blogging for fitness professionals in mind. (A course may even be in the works.) As far as blogging for beginners, I have you covered.
Here are a few posts for beginner bloggers:
- How to Start a Health, Food, or Fitness Blog – This is going to take you through getting a domain name and website set up. Video included.
- How to Make Money Blogging – This goes into more detail about the categories of blog monetization.
- 10 Free Blogging Tools to Sign Up for Today – You can DIY most of your blog. These tools will help.
STILL NOT CONVINCED? HERE ARE SOME OTHER GREAT PERKS OF BLOGGING FOR FITNESS PROFESSIONALS:
- If you need to take a leave or go on vacation, you’re still making money. As a mom, this is a big deal! Sick kid? Maternity leave? No worries.
- Unlimited earning potential. I said I made $900/month blogging. But I only blogged here and there. I know bloggers making 5 and even 6 figures MONTHLY. These bloggers are full-time.
- Blog anywhere. Want to travel the world? No worries – if there’s internet, there’s blogging.
- Choose your topics and your clients. When you’re personal training, you don’t usually say “no” to potential new clients. With blogging, you can target a very specific group of people and only write about the topics you love. It’s one way to truly pursue your passions.
- It can open up a lot of new opportunities. Bloggers and businesses will reach out to you and want to collaborate. You’ll work with a lot of new people and have a lot of fun!
Ready to get started with your own blog? Don’t forget to check out my dedicated “how to start a blog” post.
Otherwise, stay tuned for more info! If you’d like to follow the blog with email updates, be sure to subscribe below!